Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Coming To America

"... they would go down to the shore looking for that ship to take them back home to their native land and people"  



   At the primitive age of three, I was thrown into a seemingly chaotic world. A globe with a class of people I had never encountered. I saw my first Caucasian traveling from my native country Africa and it terrified my young soul. My mother and I bounced from London, New York and our final destination California. My mother laughing hysterically recalls how I was  taken back by this new culture of people; I had a specific name for them in our language “bamboolah” in Amharic and "Ashanguleet" in Tigrinya, which meant doll or strange looking thing. I refused to believe at the tender age of three that any other race besides my own, Black, was dominant. In Arabic I would cry to my mother and say, "Numshe Fog! Numshe Fog!" ** ("We came from the sky, so use the same sky to take me back!"). This was the introduction to my first educational course in America.

**Butchered Arabic translation







1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if you've ever studied the various Islamic Revolutionary Movements of The 20th century, my dear young friend. You have a very precious perspective. But I sense that you are still kind of naive as to what's happening, what has happened, and what should be happening. I hope these gray hairs can help you sort that out. InShaAllah.

    ReplyDelete